The Congress on “Platonic Education” took place in Madrid last November the 26th, coinciding with the celebration during 2013 of the 2400th anniversary of the founding of Plato’s Academy and of World Philosophy Day, sponsored by UNESCO. The event was organized by Club UNESCO for Intangible Cultural Heritage and the Universal Ethical Network with the collaboration of the International Organization New Acropolis in Spain and Victoria Cultural Space in Madrid.
Several presentations were made during the Congress:
-The educational value of practical idealism, by María Dolores Fernández-Fígares, journalist, PhD in Anthropology and Coordinator of the International Organization New Acropolis in Spain.
-Education for the body and soul, by Antonio Alzina, MD, founder of the Spanish Society of Laser Therapy and Founder and International Director of the Seraphis Center for New Medicine.
– The Concepts of the Universe and God in Platonic philosophy, by Pascual Casañ Muñoz, Doctor of Philosophy, Education Inspector for the Valencian Generalitat and responsible for Education at the UNESCO Heritage Club.
– Paidea. Platonic Education, a model for the XXIst century, by Miguel Angel Padilla, Philosopher, President of the Universal Ethical Network and UNESCO’s Vice President for Culture for Malaga Pro-Dialog.
A Round Table on the theme “Shortcomings in the educational system today. What kind of education do we want?” was also held, with the participation of:
– Mª Fernanda Sánchez Bolaños, Doctor of Philosophy and Professor of Aesthetic and Theory of Arts at Rey Juan Carlos University in Madrid.
– José Luis Abellán, Historian of Philosophy and Ideas, essayist and Doctor of Philosophy with a degree in Psychology.
– María Dolores Fernández-Fígares, Journalist, PhD in Anthropology and Coordinator of the International Organization New Acropolis in Spain.
– Pascual Casañ Muñoz, Doctor of Philosophy, Education Inspector for the Valencian Generalitat and responsible for Education at the UNESCO Heritage Club.
This post is also available in: Spanish