Cine-Forum: Avatar (Bilbao, Spain)
Espacio Luzarra screened the movie Avatar, which is written, directed and produced by James Cameron. It was released in 2009 and belongs to the genre of military science fiction and animation.
The story takes place in the future, on Pandora, one of the moons of the planet Polyphemus, inhabited by the Na-vis. The earthlings are there to obtain a very precious metal, which would solve the energy problems on Earth. However, its source is in the same place where the sacred arboreal plant of the natives, the Mother Tree, grows, which they would not give up for anything.
In order to infiltrate among the natives and carry out the mission successfully, the Avatar Program is developed whereby a human can enter the mind of a cloned indigenous person, creating a half-human, half- na-vi hybrid.
The activity highlighted the human values and the wisdom that the film transmits in a more or less direct way, which makes it so appealing to many people:
- The importance of seeing with the eyes of the soul: “I see you”.
- Belief in a universal spirit: Eywa.
- Values such as empathy and respect for differences, both physical and ideological.
- The biological and spiritual network formed by humans: we are all one.
- The connection with animals and plants.
- The conflict between modern technology and nature.
- Capitalism that measures everything by the yardstick of money.
- The devastation of indigenous peoples.
- The role of armies.
In short, a film that can be watched over and over again as it hides many treasures that are not appreciated in a single viewing.